"n" by Jorge Drexler

As most of you know, for about 5 years now my favorite singer-songwriter has been Jorge Drexler from Uruguay. He hasn't been making music his entire adult life since he went from being a practicing physician to a singer-songwriter sometime as a young adult in the early 90s, but all of his albums are divine, in their own way. His last, Amar La Trama, was beautiful. What I really loved the most about Amar La Trama (aside from its *slightly* palindromic title, of course) is that it was recorded with in a studio with a small audience, with video included. So the whole album is from those recordings and you can find all of the videos on Youtube. Delightful.

I have been wondering what J. Drex has been up to lately other than creating amazing singles with Ana Tijoux, Natalia Lafourcade, and Juan Campodónico of Bajofondo. Since his last album was in 2010, I kinda thought he would have a new album by now. But, this musical genius has apparently been construing something else.

His newest project, ¨n¨, is a program for smartphones that allows listeners to take 3 different songs (specifically created for this program) of Drexler´s and create endless versions of each song (musically and lyrically). I personally will probably never use the app, first because I don´t have a smartphone and second because it doesn´t really interest me, however I think the idea is pretty cool. I like it because it seems in Drexler´s nature to pioneer a creative project in which the lines between the artist and audience are blurred, and because I am always a fan of that in general (see: Subsuelo) J. Drex has become a little bit more commercial these days, (warner/samsung) but I can't say that I think it has affected him very much musically. His general style has not changed much; which I would describe as a mix of candombe (of the Uruguayan folk genre), milonga, tango, jazz, and pop. These mixes results in very unique compositions (they could maybe be compared to those of Joaquin Sabina or Pedro Guerra) and very original arrangements. Lyrically, Drexler is a mastermind, in my opinion.

Anyways, I'm pretty excited to see how the project goes, and also to see what Drexler comes up with next.
See what you think about "n" for yourself:


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts