Finally found some biking gals

Finally found some biking gals

What a nice Sunday I've had!

Today I went on a short ride to the cafe “Sweetsalt” in Toluca Lake to meet up with the ladies of Braking the Limits for their Women's Brunch Ride. It was lovely! I would have loved to do the ride up to Toluca Lake with them from Silverlake, but I had some complications this morning (as well as a busted rear shifter cable that I have yet to replace) so I just biked from Sherman Oaks to Toluca Lake.

First, Sweetsalt was delightful. The food was good and the atmosphere was simple and pleasant.

I was so impressed by how great all of these women were. We chatted. We all had gears. For a long time here in LA I have been looking for women who ride to get places and keep it simple. Not that I have anything against racing, recreational riding, fixie-crazes, or super-political riding a-la-ovarian-psycos, but I just haven't been able to relate to/connect with those groups of folks. I just bike to work and the store and stuff; I don't want to be all charged about it anymore (like I did, say, at the beginning of college). Anyways, one of these lovely ladies told me about a group she started called the Bodacious Bike Babes, which I totally love. I am so glad I finally found a group of gals who seem to have a nice balance of biking for practical/political purposes and for non-racing fun as well. 

All photos by Siobhan, the spokes gal. 
Siobhan fixing a flat like a boss.

All the women together having brunch

Anyways, I rode with them for about a mile in their direction home, and then turned around to go back to Sherman Oaks. My day ended nicely, with a swordfish steak dinner + lemon butter with cracked pepper + mixed roughage. Followed by a decaf coffee and Ritter chocolate butter biscuit for dessert. 


In other news: Synergy released a sneak peek of their spring line! And guess who's the model - yours truly. <3>
Photo by Olivia Hearley; Synergy Organic Clothing. 

Comments

Popular Posts