Summer 2013

It's summer! In LA, it's kinda hard to realize that THIS is summer. In a city where the weather doesn't drop below 70F for much of the year, summer is less of a big deal. Nevertheless, I am trying my best to enjoy these months to the fullest before starting school.

Next weekend one of my dearest girlfriends from high school is coming to visit me. I am so excited! We are going on 13 years of friendship. She is wonderful and beautiful woman in her 2nd year of medical school at UCSF. 

My birthday is coming up and I want nothing more than to go back to northern California. Lately I have been wanting to swim in the river, go on hikes, etc. LA has plenty of places to do that, but I just haven't really gotten into it. Or rather, I just haven't made it happen. I think I am missing the scenery of the homeland. 

I also miss my dad (who is doing really well).

My last day at work is August 15th and my first day of school is September 26. For those of you who don't know or forgot, I will be starting a dual masters graduate program (Masters in Public Health in Community Health Sciences and MA in Latin American Studies) at UCLA. Before starting school, I will spend ~1week in northern California and spend another 3-4 traveling. I am not quite sure where I am going to be traveling to, but my gut feeling is that it will be somewhere kind of close to California. Perhaps Mexico, or Costa Rica. We'll see. My dear friend Kasondra who has been living in France off and on for 3 years just moved back to California and I am thrilled. I'll get to see her around my birthday and she may do a little traveling with me, which would be lovely. My wonderful partner, Dagen, also may join in on part of my trip, which would also be great. We just celebrated our one year anniversary of being together.

I am excited to start school but also nervous, of course. When you are working, your job ends when you get home. You have time to do whatever makes you happy, and then you go to sleep and wake up and do it all over again. With school, you have much more free time and flexibility, but your work pretty much never ends. As an ongoing trend, I am going to try my best to take school day by day and just enjoy it (even the banal assignments). I am going to try my best to keep my stress levels low (because really, what deserves my stress!? Certainly not school) and stay healthy. We'll see how it goes! My tuition and the professional fees (for the MPH degree) are going to be covered by fellowships that I have been awarded through the International Institute at UCLA and the Community Health Sciences department.

Here are some photos of this summer:

Visiting Dagen in Arizona

Paula visits LA! Yippee!

Sprouted wheat bagel, cream cheese, baby heirlooms. This is my breakfast of choice for summer 2013.

Pure joy.

My little cousins. Such precious babes.

Fourth of July dessert.

4th of July

Zucchini and summer squash. Summer veggie staples.

Re-living part of our first date.

In our Sunday's best

Comments

Popular Posts