On Dancing

It's been such a long time since I posted anything on here; I really feel like I should. I am going to share with you all my thoughts on dancing, since it's such a profound part of my life.

I didn't know how to dance for most of my life. As a child, the only opportunities for dancing were at family weddings, where the slightly-tipsy middle aged adults try to convince all the kids and teenagers to dance to Brown Eyed Girl. Yeah, I wasn't ever having it.

I went to most of my junior high and high school dances, and I always had a pretty nice time but it was never about the dancing. It was about getting dressed up and putting makeup on and being out late with friends.

It wasn't until AFTER South America and pretty much the very end of my college experience when I REALLY learned how to dance (like, to any kind of music). I'm not entirely sure what it was; maybe it was due to learning how to love pop music again. Or maybe it was after a few years of dancing at folk punk shows in Santa Cruz...or square/contra dancing. Probably a combination of all those things.

In any case, I am so glad it happened, because it is one of the few ways I can 100% get into my body and out of my thoughts. It's healthy, I can do it alone or have a blast socially, and it's usually free.

Cheers to dancing, music, creativity, and all the wonderful people I have met on the dancefloor. 

Photo credit: Farah Sosa @ FARAHSTOP
Photo credit: Farah Sosa @ FARAHSTOP




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts