On dressing up

I've gone through various stages in my life in regards to caring about fashion and the way that I look more generally. In high school I was mostly trying to impress, myself and others (who knows how much of each), and loved buying new clothes and makeup. In college I was mostly not caring, and spent some years in subcultures where people don't really give a damn about looking nice. I was also biking a lot so I mostly dressed for comfort and practicality. Towards the end of my college years, I started appreciating fashion again, more and more, until I arrived where I am at now. I still bike quite a bit (and walk a ton), so I have to be practical, but I really have developed a LOVE for dressing up.

When my grandmother passed away, she left me with a lot of really beautiful jewelry. Some of it is really exquisite, some simple, and some just silly costume jewelry. In any case, I knew that I couldn't let this jewelry just lie around, so that has also been an impetus to dress up a little more. I really enjoy putting outfits together, matching jewelry (I haven't even worn every piece that I've received, yet), and experimenting with makeup. It's fun for me. And I also think there is an element of family tradition to it. My grandma always cared a lot about how people presented themselves. She wasn't always about being dressed to the nines, but when the circumstances called for it, she really took it seriously. And for the quotidian, she still had pretty high expectations. When she liked something I was wearing, I remember she would say "I think you look real sharp, Em." I always thought that was cute. And she always seemed to comment when my nail polish was chipped. Maybe that's why I don't ever paint my nails anymore. ;) About 1 year before she passed away, I shaved my head. She saw me about 2 months after I shaved my head (so I had about an inch of hair), and she really liked it; she thought it looked real "sharp" short. I remember being really happy that she liked it.

Anyways, back to dressing up. For me, dressing oneself is about how you choose to present yourself, and expressing yourself (with the exception of dressing for a particular type of work, labor, or physical activity). If wearing a sweatshirt and jeans is what's most fun and comfy for people, that's all good, but I like putting a little spice into my day and putting something different on. I also like to present myself as someone who cares about their body and life.

You would think that being in LA, you'd see a lot of lovely/interesting fashion. Not really the case. I mean, there are some events where that is the case but mostly it's just a lot of forever 21, and slumpy moda. But, fortunately, my cohort is filled with tons of interesting, smart, beautiful ladies who always seem to come to class in a wide array of geeky-chic attire, which is fun.

Current favorite fashion blog: Karla's Closet (Karla Deras, of L.A.)



Comments

Popular Posts