I’m ALL FOR biking with headphones on

So, I used to be an avid bike commuter when I lived in Santa Cruz during my undergrad years. It made sense, it was free, and all the cool kids were doing it (really). Now, I live in one of the least rad places on earth outside of the "'burbs"(Sherman Oaks) and despite there being ample bike lanes and less traffic than in "real" LA, no one bikes. I am one of very few people in my area that commutes by bike. And one of maybe five women I have seen on a bike in my five years living here. 

When I was younger, I would get into “warrior mode” and hit the streets, helmet and all, here in Sherman Oaks. I hated the idea of biking with headphones and music on, especially coming from a place like Santa Cruz where we were usually biking with other people, or at least, saying hi to other cyclists on the road. Anyways, I’m done with warrior mode. I guess I’m getting older (really), and I just can’t handle how loud cars are. Have you ever taken a moment to listen to a car drive by at 30 mph? Even the quietest cars are loud. Add in the traffic, sporadic bike lanes, honking, pollution, and heat and we can all understand why no one bikes here.

But I’ve had a transformation. Ever since I finished grad school I’ve been trying to commute by bike more for super local travel. Going back to my “roots” I suppose. But now, I fully embrace the headphones. I listen to my favorite jams – sometimes upbeat, sometimes calming – and I get into the zone. It’s the perfect amount of distance between me and a chaotic world. It allows me to be me in this chaotic world, on my own terms (kind of).

I dream of a world with less or no cars, more health, and more peace. A world where everyone isn’t having to drive around all crazy in order to work and buy and work and buy. But until then, don’t be surprised if you see me rolling down the streets of the SF Valley jamming on my bike and nodding my head to the beat, ignoring the honks.


Sidenote: For those of you thinking "Well, that's not safe." Let me tell you: I can hear all sirens (especially), yells, and honks. They are just less annoying and aggressive. And for the honks, motorists rarely honk in order to save lives. The honk because they are uncomfortable, or weren't expecting a bike, or made a dumb mistake and are afraid about killing me, or all the above, and need to express it. 

Comments

Popular Posts