Black people have always had my back

Black people, and Black women in particular, have had my back since birth.

I want to tell you a story about my birth. When my mom was in labor, it went very quick. So quickly, that the OB/GYN had not yet arrived when I was entering the birth canal. My mom's best friend, my Auntie Jacqui, was there. While she was not “licensed" or “certified” or any of that, my Auntie Jacqui happened to be a seasoned midwife in our community and for her family. So Auntie Jacqui scrubbed up and helped my mom deliver me. She pulled me out with peace, ease, and grace; and hers was the first face I ever saw.

We loved each other endlessly and I continued to write letters with her even after my mom lost custody of me. She passed away about a year and a half ago and I carry her spirit with me every day. The person who helped my mom safely bring me into this world. Thank you, Auntie Jacqui. I promise to uplift, cherish, and amplify Black women and Black people as much as I can in my lifetime. To have their backs. Especially in their (which is ultimately our) struggle for Love and Liberation.

Comments

Popular Posts