In Loving Memory of Dennis Gillam, my uncle.

This week I have been thinking a lot about my uncle Dennis. Uncle Dennis was the son of my dad's mom's most recent husband, who also passed away, however he did so after his son Dennis did. My uncle Dennis passed away in 1999. I have been feeling sad about him lately.

My uncle Dennis lived in Roseville, Ca and he was gay. I always knew this, even though I didn't entirely understand it.When I was a little girl I remember going to his apartment once in a while. I remember it being lovely, always clean and well-decorated with many kitschy items/posters of Marilyn Monroe.

I loved my uncle Dennis and still think about him because he was one of the few adults who respected and appreciated the fact that I was a child who did not have a sweet tooth. He knew [and loved] that I was a cheese aficionada, at the slight age of 6 (7...8...onward...).

Every time uncle Dennis would come visit me at my grandma's house (where I spent a lot of time as a child), he would take me to Trader Joe's (the nicest natural foods store in my town at the time) and we would pick out a new cheese to try together with some bread and crackers.

I always knew that my uncle was HIV positive and that it had progressed to AIDS. When I was 10 years old my uncle Dennis passed away in a hospice. 

I wanted to write this (years after his passing) so that I will never forget my loving uncle, and to share my relationship to him with others.

Rest in peace, Dennis Gillam. Thanks for loving me those few years we spent together. And rest in peace, all those who have passed away in the HIV pandemic.

Written by Emerald with solidarity and respect. July 28, 2011. 

Comments

Popular Posts