Ceci Bastida, Gabi Moreno, etc.

Last Saturday I worked a double – one shift at one job and then another at another job. Anyways, after my first job (bussing tables for 7 hours) I decided to go to a free show at the Levitt Pavilion which is an outdoor amphitheater at McArthur Park in Westlake downtown LA. This show was a part of a series of 50 free summer concerts at the Levitt Pavilion. I was motivated to go to this one because two excellent Latina artists were performing.

So, after work I hopped on the red line to and I made my way towards McArthur Park. As I was heading toward the park (not knowing where the actual Levitt Pavilion was) I thought I was right in the middle of the show...I was surprised about how many people were there – so many Latinos! But, I was wrong – I happened to be right in the middle of some humongous SALVADOREAN festival. HAHAHAHAHAHA. I love LA.

So I wander around, asking tons of people if they knew were the pavilion was. No one knew. I eventually found myself there. I enjoyed the folkie tunes of lovely Guatemalan-born Gabi Moreno, and of course, the punk-poppie sounds of sassy Ceci Bastida [who is now pregnant, which is so cool].

As I made my way back to the metro station, I pass through the Salvadorean festival and pick up a cheese and loroco pupusa. It was divine.

When I was heading to my other job I was thinking about job #1 and its people/workspace. You see, in my city, you see wanna-be industry people working side by side with Latino immigrants in restaurants. And well, I think it's pretty cool.

Comments

Popular Posts