Mujeres!

Sept 2.
Mujeres!

This Thursday I went to a show in MacArthur park - some Brazilian funk-dance band and the enchanting Chilean singer/songwriter Francisca Valenzuela. Francisca was absolutely lovely – a medley of piano-rock-power-pop goodness. She has an angelic voice but a piercing energy with her guitar, piano, and bass drum action. Her songs range from a lively tribute to WOMEN (in general), classic upbeat songs about love and life, to a somber and beautifully written song celebrating the life of another Chilean female singer/song writer who committed suicide when her lover left her.

In addition to Francisca completely [surprisingly] blowing my mind/melting my brain, the company I held was entirely incredible. I met up with some couchsurfers – a girl from China, a girl from France, a Afro-Panamanian woman, a Vietnamese fellow who has been living in Moscow for 15 years, and a Vietnamese lover of latin culture who lives in (and was raised in) Orange County. We danced, we practiced languages, we laughed...all in all, such a good time.

And last night, I was completely blown away again. I went to an all Latina show at the Troubadour. For Christ sake. I don't think the line up could have been better. Francisca V was great, Carla Morrison has the voice of the sweetest angel, and Pilar Diaz is always fun. Paired with a rad male DJ in between sets, it was an amazing show.

Comments

Popular Posts