Solitude

I do a lot of things alone. So do a lot of people. But, there are also a lot of young people, namely young women, who always stick with a buddy in their daily activities. Sometimes this is due to reasons of safety and/or well-being. But, a lot of times, people are simply afraid to be out and about alone. Especially in social/public spheres.

I can't even remember a time when I wasn't comfortable being by myself. I am down to go to very public places by myself - whether it be a show/concert, bar, party, or even a big club if there is a DJ I want to hear/experience.

So, if all of us (or rather, most of us) have the choice to do things by ourselves or with other humans, what influences that decision? Well, obvi I cannot speak for other individuals, but here is what often goes on in my head when deciding to do something by myself or not by myself:

  • Is it logistically feasible to partake in this activity with another person? Often, circumstances simply make it more difficult to something with someone else. 
  • Is it going to be more awesome to be by myself? Often, I don't feel like talking. Depending on who I am with, there is the pressure to chat. So, sometimes it is just more awesome to be alone. 
  • Is this an activity that I will get more out of by doing it by myself or with friends? Some things are just better shared, some require solitude. 
Generally, I find myself happy with my decisions on when to be solitary and  when not to. But, I do find myself lonely sometimes. Usually, I am lonely due to two reasons:
  1. Oh wow, X activity so awesome I wish X person could also be here to experience it with me and then talk about it later. 
  2. Oh wow, I haven't interacted with another human in a long time. I am tired of being with just me. :( [this scenario is usually when I can't find someone who's awesome to hang out with me].
Me just after entering Venezuela from Colombia. August, 2009. 21 years old.
All I know is that Emerald is good company for Emerald, and sometimes others are too.

Comments

  1. I loved this. Often people(myself included, occasionally, {real talk})shy away from going it alone because of odd hang-ups about seeming like a loner. You've broken through that by recognizing that you're a dope human, all on your own :)

    Good sheeet yo-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morgan, your real talk is so sexy. Hearts and gold stars for you, cutie.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts