Itty bitty update: Spring 2012.

Alright guys. It's been a while. 

 

Here's what I'm up to: In the winter I applied to Masters of Public Health programs in Epidemiology. Out of all the programs I applied to, I only heard from 1 positively - Columbia. They ended up offering me very little financial aid. They are also completely restructuring the program this year. I just couldn't justify getting +60K into debt to be the work-out-the-kinks cohort. I have been attending some of the UCLA School of Public Health talks and speaking with students and administrative officers there. It seems that it is a better fit for me with many more opportunities for funding.    

 

And finally, after tons of applications and job searches, I got a job offer as a Reproductive Health Assistant. Stoked!!!! 

 

In sum, I am definitely going to spend another year out of school. I am going to reapply to UCLA and other public schools in California this fall. I will probably apply to the Community Health Science dept instead of Epidemiology. At first, of course, I was wretched about my yes or no to Columbia decision. But then, it came to me pretty quick after talking to some folks at UCLA. Even after that decision was made, I felt kind of crappy about applying to PhD programs last year and not having it work out, and now the same thing with MPH programs. No one wants to apply to grad school 3 times, but ultimately I could only be mad about that sort of thing for so long. This is a crazy world we are in and I want to make sure that I am having fun and enjoying all the decisions I make. The position at PP is going to be awesome...I will be a liaison between the front desk and the clinicians. I will conduct pregnancy testing, emergency contraception counseling, birth control admin, etc. All stuff I really care about and am knowledgeable about.It is full time with benefits. Super happy. 


When I decided that I wasn't going to Columbia, I made another big decision. I said "If I can't get a job that I feel good about in one month, I am going to go on a little trip."


This is what I planned:
Fly into Buenos Aires. Take a boat to Montevideo. Bus into southern Brazil. Travel a bit, visit friend in Florianopolis, fly back to LA. 


I suppose I get to wait for that trip! I'll be planning it perfectly! 
  
Other stuff I'm up to:

Current music:
Michel Teló
Anna Tatangelo
Jovanotti 

Current reads:
Oh yeah, and my hair is getting longer.






I still don't have a real camera so you're stuck with these webcam shots!

Much love to you all!

Comments

  1. Beautiful and intelligent woman, estoy muy feliz por ti, tus experiencias, tus logros y tus planes. Me encanta leerte y saber de ti.

    Abrazos, mucho éxtito y todo mi cariño,

    Iraida

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts