2 Year Anniversary of Head-Shave

 Yesterday marked the 2 year anniversary of the day that I shaved my head to ~1/4 inch long. It was and continues to be one of the most profound experiences of my young womanhood. 

Some things that I have learned from this experience:
  1. Hair grows...slow...fast...the awkward phases are so awkward, and it feels like they drag on forever. The good phases don't seem to last long enough (I loved my hair at about 1 inch long. Surely it grew out of that nice cut reallll quick. My most awkward phase was winter of 2011 (~9 months post-shave). 
  2. I like my hair longer. In general, I have concluded that I like my hair very short and long. I have a pretty wild wave to my hair which makes the in-between stages pretty unflattering in my opinion. Straight hair is so easy - all short cuts seem to look cute. When you have wavy hair, you have to pull of some sort of twist (or style it) to make it look half-decent. 
  3. Long hair is easier for me. I thought that short hair would always be easier than long, but due to what I just explained above, this was not the case. My long hair I can just twist to the side, let it dry, and then I have long lovely messy waves (see below). 
Right before I buzzed it off



 4. To pull something off this crazy (my hair was pretty long), it's important to have support. Fortunately, when I did this I was living in the uber-alternative Santa Cruz, where everyone thought it was the coolest thing that I shaved my head. Right after the buzz I headed out to rural Philippines, which ended up being a much less supportive environment of course. The most important thing, however, is that I had friends and family back home supporting me. 
















5. Being a "traditionally feminine"-looking young woman, head-shaving was a super self-validating action. I thought I was very self confident before I made the cut, and according to societal expectations I really was. However, shaving my head brought about all sorts of questions and insecurities that I never had to encounter/deal with in the past. And I am not saying that I wasn't pretty with my head buzzed, but it is certainly a very different kind of pretty. Not surprisingly, I got very different attention from the world. And that was a hard thing sometimes (especially, of course, in rural Philippines). I had so many people indirectly tell me that I was or would be prettier with long hair. I grew so accustomed to hearing this that I would sometimes jokingly respond with "Yeah, I was pretty once; I really hated it." HA! Anywho, for all the people who would make those sorts of comments, I got just as many positive ones from friends and loved ones, which was really important. Seeing myself stripped of my beautiful long hair (which, for the most part, I loved) was sad, empowering, and validating. It helped me to focus even more on my internal qualities, and see myself for who I truly am inside.  Heightened self love and acceptance were definitely products of that.

 6. Make up and wardrobe experimentation are a must. I found that with my short hair, I had such a specific "look". In order to look as traditionally "feminine" as I usually like, I had to experiment a lot with clothing, make up, and accessories. I have so many more dresses, skirts, and high-necked 
 shirts/blouses than I did before 2011!





Apr 2011 Palanan, Isabela, Philippines (North-east Luzon)



7. When you hate it, remember: hair grows back! Take biotin and lycopene if you want it to grow faster! 
Aug. 2011
Christmas 2011

Spring 2012

That's all for now, friends! Thanks for joining me in this journey!
Now! 2 years later. March 2013.

Comments

Popular Posts