Panamerika Show @La Fonda Theater

Last Thursday I went to the Panamerika/Red Bull presents Escenario show @ La Fonda Theater in Hollywood. All in all, the show wasn’t awesome, but I am really glad I went. I came in when La Santa Cecilia was playing with the darling Carla Morrison. La Santa Cecilia is always a fun band to see live; each person in the band has such a sparkling energy and la MariSoul is just, well, one poderosa woman. Seeing Carla add her precious vocals to the banda/folclorico/norteña LA native band was just lovely. La Santa Cecilia's new song, Hielo, is a lovely story-song recounting deportation. This is from the show on Thursday:

  Astro!

I have really taken a liking to the Chilean synth-pop-rock band Astro. These days, Chilean electro-pop bands are a dime a dozen, but Astro seems to have something special. Maybe it’s the twins? Maybe it’s the animal sounds/callings? Who knows. I have really grown to like their recorded acoustic stuff, but I enjoyed them live as well. 


  Now in between sets New York-based ñu-cumbia DJ duo Qué Bajo?! was performing. I LOVE QUÉ BAJO?!. And this is what upset me – big shows like this, almost always, have a big bad crowd. Nobody really knew of the bands (which is fine), and the energy was really low. And of course, when you apply that to music that DJ’s are playing (on the side, where no one in the crowd can really see them) the energy was even lower. Nobody was really appreciating the music, and it was totally good. Uproot Andy and Geko (Qué Bajo duo) were 2 of the first DJ’s in the U.S. in the ñu-cumbia spark. So cool. I guess that is just what comes with attending a big show at a big venue, but I guess I was just bummed about it. 



  Then, Bomba Estereo played. The people of Bomba are friends of mine, and I have seen them play many times. I think my favorite time was either my first time in Berkeley 2009 or at the Getty in 2010. In any case, Bomba is always great. They are super talented, and also one of the first groups in the ñu-cumbia boom. Liliana Saumet is a wild woman who knows how to put on a good show and all of the other members are so dedicated and incredibly gifted at what they do. Anyways, it was kind of the same issue as before, the crowd was just kind of bleh and the energy was low. I eventually got sick of the camera phones recording every single song in front of me and drunk people pushing me, so I went off into a corner backstage where I could still see the show. Carla Morrison sang with Bomba for one song and that was so funny and cute. The song is one that I really like, called “El Alma y el Cuerpo”, and it is totally different from the style of music that Carla makes. She sung wonderfully of course (however, you could barely here her soft voice over the synthetic beats and bass)…I am almost sick of how perfect Carla Morrison is. Ha! 
Anyways, I told the Bomba boys that I would give them a ride home since they didn’t want to wait for their crew and the van, and so I got to catch up with all of them and that was nice. I also got to chat with Liliana for a bit which was also nice. I wish Bomba would have played more songs from their new album, which I love. It's more edgy, more European sounding, and more chill.
My favorite song on their new album is definitely ¨Bosque¨. There are some videos of it being sung live but nothing of good quality:

  Anyways, I wonder sometimes if I am developing old/senile characteristics. Maybe not, but one thing I am sure of is that the older I get the more of a luddite I feel I am becoming. I am so sick of being in social settings where I am surrounded by smartphones all the time. I can understand taking a photo or 2 of your fave band or whatever, but FILMING every song. Come on, guys, loosen up and enjoy the moment. Generally I avoid settings like that, however with big shows there is just no way. I sometimes wish every band was like Björk – forcing everyone to put their phones away and simply enjoy the moment. 

Some photos taken by Tom: 
MariSoul and Carla


Imposter!!!
Before I went to the show, I made gnocchi with a goat cheese, sun-dried tomato, and mushroom sauce. Yeah, I died. 


That's all for now friends.

Comments

Popular Posts