"...Amazing 21st year of life..."

I wrote this a few days before I turned 22. (I guess technically it should be called amazing 22nd year of life, because when I turned 22 that's technically the beginning of my 23rd year, but whatever...) I wanted to take a few moments to recap this wonderful year of my life, and share with my close family and friends.

Summer of 2009 I spent my time traveling throughout South America. I turned 21 in the beautiful city of Bogota, Colombia with my dear friend Rocio. After traveling in Colombia for 2 more weeks, I headed to Venezuela and finally got to meet my long time penpal, Iraida Hernandez. Lovely country, lovely people.

Fall of 2009 I returned to Santa Cruz and was happy to be around friends, have my bike, and be able to cook exactly what I wanted for myself.

My new years was spent with Alicia Adams. Amazing human being, amazing night.

Winter of 2009/2010 I took a Russian class and prepared for my field work in the Philippines. 

Feb-March I was in the Philippines doing research/field work with my professor Nate Dominy on two indigenous Filipino populations.

Spring of 2010 I got to be a visiting student at UCLA. I got to participate in research and take classes that I wouldn't be able to take at UCSC. I got to learn about the research of some of the most prominent academics in my field.

At the very beginning of summer I got to present my research for the first time at an international conference - the Human Behavior and Evolution Society conference in Eugene Oregon. After the conference, I got to travel with some awesome HBES buddies to Seattle, and then Portland.

Summer of 2010 I am spending in LA and having an awesome time. Everyday I do something active and get to see something new. Whether it be live music, an art show/exhibit, a new place to dance, a new beach, etc. I get to ride my bike and walk to many places, take the bus, and I have a car when I need it. I have done so much cool stuff here. I also get to visit my aunt and uncle and their 3 babies fairly often. Many people have bad things to say about LA (rightfully so, there is a lot of bad), but it does have a lot of good to offer.

I am going to turn 22 here in LA this week with my best girlfriend, Madison.
I am forever thankful to my friends, my family, my health, everything that allows me to be who I am and do what I do in life.

Comments

Popular Posts