Thank you Chicago and goodbye.

On my train ride yesterday from downtown Chicago up to Evanston, I was sitting by myself looking out the window. Then, a young woman came and sat next to me. This woman had long RED dredlocks, dressed kinda granola, and was bigger-bodied. She was warm and beautiful. I asked her if she wanted my day pass, since that would be my last train ride for the day. She responded kindly that she didn't need it, since it was only good for one day. She had a thick southern accent - a total shocker. She proceeded to tell me about how she is from Jacksonville, Florida and had just moved to Chicago and loves it. I couldn't believe this experience. She was 21. She would go to rainbow gatherings. She shared a lot about her life. She later asked me what my story was – why I was in Chicago, etc. I told her that I was invited to come visit Northwestern University for a PhD program in biological anthropology.
Oh DANGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG” she says *southern accent*
This young lady wanted to talk about herself a lot which was cool because she already seemed really interesting and I was really down to listen – as I had been talking about myself all weekend.
She tells me more about her life and then said something along the lines of “...cause I have a community here...I mean, I live in a commune.” I ask her what kind of commune she lives in and she says:
Jesus People USA”.
I ask “Oh wow, a Christian commune?”
Yeah”
So you're Christian?”
Oh yeah I am walkin' with the Lord, girl”
Becky was QUITE the character. She told me about commune life, how much she loves Chicago and its hip hop/reggae scenes, and how her commune doesn't go to church but instead have drum circles and music everyday to worship. I thought it was cool. She later says:
And the best part of living at Jesus People USA, is that I have been sober for 2 months, and it's great.”
I congratulated her sincerely as her stop was approaching. Right before getting off the train, it came up that I was staying in the Hilton during my visit to NU.
DANGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!”
haha. Take care Becky :) :) :)

(Becky later found me on Facebook, which is so cool.)

Comments

  1. I thought I left a comment here last week...
    Well, I meant to tell you that you have good stories this week!
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts