To all the ladies out there who want to shave their heads...

...but feel like they don't have the gonads...yet...er something.


I just thought I would share my own personal experiences on the matter.

Even when I had my dear friend Travis braid my hair and then cut it all off (leaving me with ~4 inches of hair still), I felt like I didn't have the gonads to do it [cut off all my long hair].

And I already had plans to have my other friend shave it all off, the next day.

I didn't feel ready. I had a lot of support from my best friend, who has also shaved her head before. Quite honestly, I don't think I could have done it without her. She made me realize – you know, I might never be entirely ready and down to shave all my hair off. Should I let that keep me from doing it? I decided that it shouldn't.

I don't think I would have ever be 100% down and ready to do something this extreme. But I did it, and I feel great about it. So here some things I would like to share with girls/women who want to do this but just don't have the gonads:

I encourage you to decide for yourself what I decided for myself. It is quite possible that you will never be 100% down. Be conscious of that – maybe even try to embrace it, if you can. I knew that if I didn't do it now, I may never do it in my young adulthood. For me, that was enough to push me to do it.

For all my ladies who are only into men: if you are worried that men will not be attracted to you, I cannot emphasize enough how much you DO NOT need to worry about this. I can't even express all of the amazing comments and kind, honest words I have gotten from male friends and men in general. Stuff like “you went from being pretty to being sexy/beautiful/fierce” to “almost all pretty girls have long hair – I like short. Edgy, exciting, sexy.” Sure, there are plenty of men who only like long hair, or like long hair more than short, but I don't think short hair will keep a woman from getting attention from men, especially if she got it before the buzzing. I think the bigger question/issue is usually whether or not you [the woman] feels like getting rid of your long hair is stripping you from your femininity, which is a totally legitimate concern.

Inexact quote from my best friend: “You are going to look great. Your long hair IS beautiful, and your short hair will be too. And your grown out hair will be too, if you decide to do that. There is no better time to do it than now, if you want to do it. You are going to look great.”

I loved my long hair. I now love my super short hair. And I am excited to see how it grows out.

Good luck making YOUR decisions, what ever they may be. And I hope you have support in in them.

Comments

Popular Posts