I took the lightrail.

I'm in the central valley.
Today, I took the lightrail to and out of downtown Sac.

In Sacramento, unfortunately, the only people who take the lightrail are the people who have to...people who can't afford their own cars. There are a few people taking it out of choice, but not too many.

You buy a ticket before you get on you don't have to put it in a machine, nor does any one check the tickets on a regular basis. So, for many, it's a free ride.

On my way home, I get on the lightrail with my bicycle. There are places to hang bicycles, but people usually just stand with their bikes in the back. I went to hang my bike up, instantly assisted by a Mexican man with his son. People always help me with that kind of shit. Always.

I sit down. I read.

The train is about to stop. We are at Arden and Del Paso (not the best part of town). I see a woman, white, overweight, biking with some groceries in her front basket and handlebars. One handlebar occupied by McDonald's. She is followed by an overweight boy [presumably, her son].

I think to myself: Are they going to try to get on the train?

...

...

...

They get on the train. The woman struggles to lift her cruiser up the stairs with all of her items. Another man and I help her. Then I help her son with his bike; he is also carrying a plastic bag [with toys in it].

They thank me very kindly. They speak with interesting accents. Turns out they are getting off at the next stop. 

Those are the moments where I feel the most grateful. For everything.

They get off. A man, sitting near me, who had been on the train for a while, keeps swearing about the train spending too much time at each stop. He is trying to catch a connecting bus. He has tattoos and a U.S. marines hat.

Two young Mexican teenagers, wearing baggy clothes, complement the man's tattoo. I think the tattoo they were referring to was a Dallas Cowboys tattoo. The man says:
"Thanks. Today is a good day. I just retired from the U.S. army. Been in the marines for over 20 years. I am retiring now; I'm 47."

He sees that I am looking at him talk. I say "Congrats man. That's awesome."

"Yeah. I've worked hard for it. Believe me. I've been around the world. Been shot at."

"Wow. Yeah. Congrats. That's great."

Being on the lightrail in Sacramento is kind of like being in the 3rd world, in the 1st world. You have people on their cell phones blasting their music for everyone to hear. You have people asking to borrow your phone. You have people trying to get by, they are getting by, living their lives.

Sometimes it's hard to believe this is where I'm from. But, this is where I'm from.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts