Wilderness -> Manila

I finished my work in time to catch a bus to Manila last night. The bus ride was pretty much brutal. 9 hours, BUMPY. I arrived in Manila at 2am, and a nice couchsurfer picked me up at 2am. Such a nice guy.

We immediately went to sleep – of course. But, I must say, when we arrived to his house in a nice part of Manila, I was in such culture shock (keep in mind, I was kicking it with the Agta THAT morning). All of a sudden, I had a bed/room of my own, a bathroom with a real shower and hot water if I wanted. A housemaid if I needed anything, really...clean drinking water, wifi, a fridge, all these things that you get used to not having when you are without them for a even a short period of time.

I woke up and we had a nice breakfast. Eggs, rice, fish, turkey, coffee with milk, papaya. I was very much reminded of the house of my friend Luis in Bogota, Colombia. Similar houses, and eating similar foods at a similar table. We left the house early in the morning to go to John's Spanish class. We went to class and it was nice. I felt at home listening to Spanish, and the teacher was glad that I was participating in class. It was cool.

His class is at the Instituto Cervantes, which a kind of Spanish language and culture center in Manila. It was pretty cool. After his class, him and his classmates had their final project – performing a short play in small groups in front of an audience (it was in a real theater in the institute), similar to projects we have in the U.S., of course. The plays were pretty awesome. The first one was about a man who decides he doesn't want to marry his fiance anymore due to the realization that there is no point of life, humans are nothing, and social norms suck. It was EXCELLENT. The second one was a monologue by a guy who I later talked with and really liked. The monologue was basically him impersonating a press conference with a former president who he really dislikes. He opened by explaining what he didn't like about her, and then he says “Pero lo que mas odiaba de ella, era su VOZ.”

Then he proceeds to put a little national governmental emblem on the podium, put a mole on his face (like she has), and glasses, and began to talk like her. He says some pretty silly/true things, and then he ends the talk by answering a phone call from her husband and then says that she is going to excuse her self and go eat in the most expensive restaurant in Madrid with her family (which she did in real life). Awesome. Had good convo with John and all his classmates.

Ended my evening in Manila with some beers on the beach at a nice lounge with 2 cool couchsurfers from Manila.

Thanks, Philippines.




Comments

Popular Posts