Anti-Bac!

Anti-Bac. April 2, 2011

Today I have the whole day to myself so I decided to go to the drugstore to get some new soap. I ran out of soap pretty quickly after arriving, as I just brought a 3oz bottle of body wash. So last week I bought some new soap – just a bar of plain Olay soap. I thought it was just heavily scented, because I realized my skin was getting irritated after bathing. But, sure enough, the soap is ANTIBACTERIAL. WTF??!!@#$%

I realized that here in the Philippines there is this really serious anti-bac craze. Part of the marketing of body soaps is “locking germs out”, but “keeping skin moisturized”...it's this interesting obsession with cleanliness that I have been closely observing during my time here. Of course, personally, being cautious of antibiotics, I try to avoid all antibacterial soaps, because over time harmful germs will mutate and become immune to the antibacterial qualities contained in the soap. Bla bla anyways I have noticed that most soaps – for the body and for laundry (always hand washed) are “anti-bac”. Some of the laundry soaps that are anti-bac are marketed as having properties which ward off mosquitos...craz.

So, back to my soap shopping experience. I knew I didn't want to keep that anti-bac soap, so I looked at the drugstore for some other kinds of soap. Sure enough – there are a bunch that I hadn't seen, all about under 1$ – gentler soaps, but they were in the “baby” section!!! Ha!!! There was Dove, and Johnson's baby soap. Among the “baby” soaps, I found some all-natural soaps – MediHerb soaps. They were mostly made of natural oils and other ingredients. I bought an oatmeal soap, which I like a lot. All of the natural soaps were the same prices as the others – not like in the U.S. where you pay twice as much for the natural version of anything. But, I find it interesting that people don't use these soaps, at least not from my experience. It is more popular to use the heavily-scented anti-bac American brand soaps. (Mostly Vaseline, Safeguard, etc.)

Anyways, I'm just glad I have a gentle soap now...I already have enough skin/bug/rash nightmares here, HAHAHA.

Comments

Popular Posts