Stress alleviated by specialness

April 6th, 2011

Stress alleviated by specialness.

Today was a stressful day. I realized that everything about this particular trip (to Palanan) is kind of falling through. I'm stressed about money, potentially shitty/limited data, disappointing my PI, etc. Earlier in the day I wasn't doing so hot, but I am doing better now. I am realizing, that even though most of this is beyond my control – even if it isn't (e.g. I made a mistake), I am trying my best and so there is no good reason for me to be feeling bent out of shape about it.

Let's be real – I am at the settlement of Kulasi, at the mouth of the Pacific Ocean and the Palanan River working with one of the most unique human populations in the entire world: the Agta. No need for me to be bummed. I need to savor every moment of this special opportunity.

The Agta here in Palanan mostly live along the river and the coast, hence our research project focusing on the consumption of fresh water/marine resources. The Agta, along with other populations in southeast Asia who share similar physical characteristics (short stature, kinky hair, very dark skin, light brown eyes) are thought to be living descendants of the first wave of human evolution out of Africa. They are genetically very distinct from modern Africans.

And I get to kick it with them.

I just need be mindful of that when I let myself get too stressed out.

Until next time...





Comments

  1. Good call, mama! Look at the joy you spread ALL OVER THE FREAKING WORLD. I love you and they love you. Congratulations on another job well done and having the insight to appreciate how amazing the things you do really are. You're incredible. Oh, and you make me laugh so hard it disturbs the neighbors. :D

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts