Where I am, what I'm doing, who I'm with, etc.







March 31 (March 30 for you U.S. kooks), 2011

Well, basically, I have been waiting for a week to be able to go to my next site. The weather has been bad so planes have not been crossing the mountains (Sierra Madre). I have been coming to the Cyclone airport everyday, no luck. The Cyclone airport is actually a flying school. Most of the pilots and aspiring pilots are middle eastern or Indian. It's a really good flying school – it's really good, actually, that they are so careful about the weather. There are many people stranded here unable to return to their homes over the mountains. You can take a boat, but boats also refrain from departing due to weather. It is also a rough trip that takes 2 days. So, currently, I am planning on WALKING to Palanan - crossing the Sierra Madre BY FOOT (Way too hardcore, really), if I can't get a flight soon.

Fortunately, on Tuesday when I came here I met Jos, a crocodile evolutionary ecologist from the Nederlands. It has been so nice to have a buddy. He has been trying to go to Maconako (near my site) for over a week now. We have been kicking it mad hard – at the airport and in the evenings. We have developed a really nice solidarity/friendship over the struggle to get to our sites – all this for some FUCKING DATA. Jesus. The thing is, I have made it this far, so the waiting is worth it (the opportunity to meet and interact with the Agta again). Anyways, Jos and I get along well. He speaks English well and we can communicate very easily. He is honest and easy to talk to and make decisions with. We bond over missing European/Mediterranean foods, getting skinny/losing muscle, real coffee, doing things by ourselves, loving McDonalds in 3rd world countries, lack of exercise, etc. We talked about how interesting it is that Filipinos always want to do everything together – sleep together, eat together, etc. People very rarely do things alone, which is strange for Jos and I. I don't know what causes this cultural occurrence; in South America it was not this extreme so I don't think it has to do with safety. Something else.

Jos and I will walk places together and it is such a sight. Him – standing at 6' 3 with long vibrant blonde curls (~4 inches) and me – standing at 5' 5 (taller than the average man, by maybe 2 or 3 inches) with my hair that is barely an inch long. It's so nice though. We get so much attention but we can just talk to each other and ignore it all.

People always tell me I would be more beautiful with long hair. That's been a slightly tender topic for me lately. Going from Cali where all my rad friends were telling me how sexy and fierce I look – to here – where people don't seem to appreciate the value of just having the beauty of a face, without the hair.

On Tuesday night I hung out at Isabela State University international student house – where Jos and a few of his dutch colleagues are staying. I had a great time; I hung out with him and his 2 friends – Willem and Bart. We listened to music, drank beer, and had a delicious pasta with pesto, spicey tuna, capers, fresh tomatoes, and parmesan. It was the best meal I had had in days! Capers...mmm I had a great time.

Last night, Wednesday, Jos came to Santiago with me and we stayed at the office. It was nice because we had stayed out in Cauayan (where the airport is) with Paula, a nice woman who works at the airport. Last night when we came to the office we wanted to hang out and drink Red Horse (strong beer) so Hener (an NCIP worker who works with me) accompanied us to buy some. We got beer, hung out with Hener, and talked. It was nice...relaxing...of course.

Now this afternoon Jos and I separated. He went back to Cabagan (2 hours from the airport) and I went back to Santiago (45 min from airport). We had hung out for 50+ hours straight. It was a little bit sad saying goodbye - Tonight I went to McDonalds by myself and had dinner. I loved myself for it. Going to McDonalds in the 3rd world is such a comfort. It is pretty much the only thing I can eat that it EXACTLY the way it is in the states. Everything else (pizza, spaghetti, “sandwiches”, etc.) has some weird-ass Filipino twist. So, it is so so so nice to be able to go to McDonald's (I know, it's funny!). I always get a double cheeseburger and a small vanilla ice cream cone. I love it. People are always surprised that I don't want fries and a drink...

On my way home from dinner I saw a man riding a bike while holding a dead chicken by the legs in one hand and the other hand on the handle bars.

Shit is so raw here.

Until next time...

Comments

Popular Posts